Tuesday, March 22, 2011

the decision.

The big decision that has been weighing on our minds lately is my future career. The options?


This...






Or this...

Before I had Aubrey, I had every intention of going back to work part time after my 6 week maternity leave period was up. I would have family watch her, and it would only be 3 days a week. Easy breezy right? Wrong. After she was born, all I could think about was having to drop her off in the morning three days a week and having someone other than her mommy take care of her.

Since I had a major case of the baby blues, I decided to wait a couple of weeks to see if it was just my emotions getting in the way. And? Wrong. I had this absolutely terrible feeling about going back to work and talked to Steve about it. The main reason I was keeping my job was mainly because of the benefits, not the pay. It IS a really, really good job for someone who hasn't stepped on a college campus in her life, but I knew my place was in the home. I wanted to be the one changing Aubrey's diapers, rocking her when she is fussy, feeding her, changing her clothes, playing with her. Not for most of the week, the whole week.

David O. McKay couldn't have said it better: "Unless absolutely necessary that the mother work, she should be at home with her children raising them, loving them, and caring for them." After reading this and praying about it, we realized it is not absolutely necessary for me to work. If it came to that point, then of course I would work to help support my family. But we
will cross that bridge when we get there. Until then...


Home is where I'll be!



8 comments:

  1. Good for you sweets! You won't regret it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you Lisa! I read that same talk when I decided to stay home. I had planned to stay home when Joe got a job, but when it came down to it, I had a hard time saying by to it. I worked hard to establish myself in my career, but you only get a chance to raise your kids once then they are grown and gone. A job will always be there, childhood won't. You will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meant "bye"...I should really proofread prior to submitting my post :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great decision. You won't regret it. It is very tough at times, but it will be great for your kids. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so proud of you :)This will be the best most rewarding job ever!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It really is the best decision. And that is why the Prophet counsels us that if we can we should. But just to let you know, at first when they are sleeping 20 hours a day you can get antsy and sometimes bored so if you ever want to have a play day.... CALL ME! I'll come over for a mommy play date :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So excited for you! SAHM is the HARDEST and also the BEST!!! It's the MOST important "job" I'll ever have. Think of all the fun you two will get to have, but also remember to still ask for help when you need it girl.

    ReplyDelete