Friday, December 30, 2011

Crying it out = Sleep.


Oh.  My.  Goodness.  Why I didn't do this whole "cry it out" thing months ago is BEYOND me.  It has been more than a success, & every single person in our household is well-rested & HAPPY.  

I adjusted & tweaked Aubrey's schedule over & over again & have finally found (for the time being-I'm sure she'll switch it up again soon!) what works for her.  Surprisingly the whole process has had few tears.  I used to think the "cry it out" method meant shutting the door & letting them cry for however long it took for them to fall asleep.  Maybe that's how some people do it, but that's not something I was comfortable with.  Basically, I would lay Aubrey down at the times that I wanted her to sleep (10 & 2-ish).  I would let her be in her crib for an hour, & if she didn't fall asleep within that time, she would stay up until the next nap time or bed time.  She usually plays for about 20 minutes, cries for about 10 minutes, & then she falls asleep!  Uhh-mazing.  The crying has now turned into soft whining, it gets better every day.  She has taken 2 naps a day for about a week straight.  She also only gets up once to eat in the middle of the night now instead of twice.  It happens about 5:00am which is sooo much nicer than 1:00 AND 5:00.  

Basically, I would call the method a success & thank you guys so so much for your encouraging comments, tweets, & emails!  You all are THE best!

11 comments:

  1. You're a strong and beautiful mama :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY for figuring out what works for you!! That's basically what I do and it works wonderfully. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't that the best feeling in the world-- when you finally teach your child to fall asleep on their own?! Alea's almost 21 months and we JUST did it a couple months ago. So kudos to you for being on the ball!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yay! I'm sooo glad you found a schedule/method that worked for you and Miss Aubrey! Nothin' like being well rested so you can keep being a great mama :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its great to hear that at least someone has made a routine for their child. My daughter, just falls asleep whenever and she can go all day without taking a nap. I have tried with this little girl over and over to establish, but it doesn't work.

    Maybe, you can help me out with some of the techiniques that you used.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please do share your schedule with us!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is awesome! I am learning the same thing right now too. I've started doing it at night, and it works!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow you're brave for posting about CIO on your blog!!

    I think its the equivalent of death and taxes in the blogosphere. LOL.

    I am a believer in it too! But only because I've read every book on babies and sleep under the sun and know that when you time it right, there is actually very little crying involved :)

    Yay for naps!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad this has gotten better! :) Yay for Aubrey!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're such a good example of a mommy! How wonderful this is working out for Aubrey :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. haha! so glad it is working for you! :) happy new year.

    xo
    purposelyathome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete