Monday, January 16, 2012

my little people person.

Back when I was childless, I used to dream about what having a baby girl would be like.  I dreamed she would always have an adorable outfit on with a matching bow.  She would have light brown hair like I used to.  She would be our pride & joy.  She would be a mama's girl.  Well, she does always have an adorable outfit on, & she is mostly certainly our light brown haired pride & joy, but mama's girl?  That's one thing I've had a hard time with.  

All the baby books say around 8 or 9 months babies go through a separation anxiety stage.  I was somewhat nervous about it, & somewhat excited that she would be clingy to her mama & want to only be with me.  Her 8 & 9 month birthdays passed & she was the total opposite of what I had expected: She didn't cry when other people picked her up, she welcomed them with open arms & a huge smile.  When we left her with a babysitter to go on a date alone, she barely made a peep while we were gone.  She was happy to see us when we came back, but she couldn't care less when we left.  It was nice having an easy, friendly baby, but part of me yearned for that mama-attachment that I had read so much about.  At times I felt like I could send her home with the cashier at Belair & she wouldn't blink an eye. 

I had just kind of shrugged the whole thing off & said, "Well, guess I got lucky, she's easy & adapts to anyone & everything!", but inside I still wondered why she didn't go through that stage that oddly, I was sort of looking forward to.  I even asked my doctor at Aubrey's 9 month appointment about it, & she made me feel tons better when she said, "Don't even worry. You obviously have raised a well-adjusted baby that doesn't have an insecurity about their mom ever leaving.  She knows you will always be right there, which is why she doesn't mind being picked up by someone else.  You have given her a great confidence & should be proud of that."  Thank goodness for reassuring words from pediatricians!

Now that a couple months has passed since then, she will occasionally give me a "mama's girl" moment where she only wants me-which makes me beam with joy, but for the most part she is a friendly, happy baby that the meanest looking person in the world could pick her up & she would greet them with a smile & one of her most genuine "Hi-yeeee"s.  I love that little social butterfly & wouldn't change her for a second.




11 comments:

  1. You are such a good mommy Lisa, I see how Aubrey looks at you & she totally adores you!! You are beautiful in that picture by the way, & Aubrey is cute as ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your doctor is absolutely right hun-my mom is a pediatrician and she says she can always tell a great hands on mom when she sees them by seeing how babies react to strangers, you are doing an awesome job! The world needs more mamas like you that raise happy babies that are secure.

    -Olivia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your daughter is beautiful and motherhood is something you do very gracefully. I can only hope someday I have a life filled with joy like you do!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. awww thank you for the comment! you have such a lovely little blog! Cant wait to read more!

    following you back miss!


    xxxoo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww she is too cute in her bow! :) What a sweet little girl who truly loves her mama!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for leaving such a sweet comment on my blog! I love the picture of you and your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww... she's such a cutie!!
    And you're a great mom!! You should share some tips about how to raise a baby... :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah Lisa, I know how u feel. My son had his moments where he only wanted mummy (when we were with certain people - strange!). But mostly he was happy to be around anyone. Until he turned 3. Taking him to nursery turned into an emotional roller coaster for me! Initially he couldn`t care less, didn`t say bye to me a ran off to play, and then suddenly he would cry and scream for cuddles. He`s still not back to being carefree, but he`s getting there:-) You never know, Aubrey could hit the seperation anxiety at any stage!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a beautiful post! her confidence in you being her mama is so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  10. your baby is so cute and i love your header:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would like to second Jeanne's comment.

    Some babies go through separation anxiety but many don't. Mine didn't. Its funny cause I was just re-reading my posts from a year ago and I too was surprised at how little Heidi seemed interested in me and sad that she wasn't more affectionate, but that has changed! At two she is extremely affectionate and is ALL OVER ME. She has changed into a needy little thing! The little girl I nanny for is 3 and also mommy-obsessed but wasn't very into her mom around 1 year. They go through stages!

    I'm predicting Aubrey will be the same as my little one and be all over you in about a year. Just wait!

    ReplyDelete