Tuesday, February 21, 2012

out with the baby, in with the toddler.

The past month it has hit me hard that Aubrey is going to be turning one soon.  I've been really sad about it, which I hate to admit.  I love having a baby.  And I think it is completely unfair we only get that stage for one, short year.  Last night I rocked Aubrey to sleep & found myself breathing in the sweet baby scent of her head for an hour as she slept.  I kind of had an epiphany after several thoughts of, I don't want this stage to be over, & Can't I just pause time? & I don't want her to grow up yet.  After wiping some sad tears off my face, I thought to myself: I should not be sad about this.  I should be happy, excited, & looking forward to my little girl's future.  Every stage has been amazing so far, & it still will be.  Just different.

I'm choosing to not be sad anymore about her upcoming birthday.  Her birthday was the absolute best day of my life, & it's going to be a blast looking back on that day & celebrating her first year.  She is going to learn & do so many things in her second year, & that is something to be joyous about.  It will always be bittersweet as she goes through stages of life: birthdays, kindergarten, graduations, marriage, motherhood, but they are all wonderful & happy things.  Don't get me wrong, I will be sobbing (happy tears) at all the above!

Nothing can prepare you for the intense love you feel for your child.  It's like nothing else..

  Thanks to the hubby for getting this shot: He came in the room to check on us & said, "Aw, I have to get a picture of this."  It's nice having a husband that loves taking pictures like I do.  






15 comments:

  1. Precious. That pic is just amazing :)

    I felt the same way with both my girls turning one, but just think of it this way, your bond grows stronger! and their personality just gets more fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful picture. :)
    Melt my heat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tell me about it! I was in denial. I was convinced I would call her by baby forever lol. I still call her my baby, but I'm embracing the toddler time. It's fun.

    - Sarah
    http://agirlintransit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so sweet. I am going through the same process with my son who just turned 10 months old on Sunday. I'm grieving over the loss of the infant stage, but for his sake I'm happy that he continues to grow and learn and change!

    ReplyDelete
  5. so precious lisa! you make me so excited to be a mom! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. so sweet! i am the same way thinking about my baby turning one in june!

    www.modernsuburbanites.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww Lisa I felt the same way when it finally hit me I would soon have a one year old but now that he's older he's getting so smart and funny and just coming into his own person with opinions and what not..keep in mind that Aubrey will ALWAYS be your baby no matter how old she gets just think, that's how our mom feels about you..

    ReplyDelete
  8. My son just tuned 8 months I know exactly how u feel its bitter sweet, but each stage will bring something exciting. = )

    ReplyDelete
  9. Visiting from Top Baby Blogs :)

    My little guy turned one last week so I know exactly what you mean about letting go of the baby stage. It is definitely bittersweet...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know EXACTLY how you feel!!! My baby will be one in April and every time I stare at her I cry cause she is no longer going to be baby.

    Such a precious picture! At least your little one still lets you rock her to sleep! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really know how you feel too. I always get sad thinking about my kids growing up. Each birthday is a little bittersweet for me. My hubby doesn't understand because all he has is excitement.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ahh, I feel exactly the same way! My son is going to turn one in a little over a week (OMG) and it's crazy, I can't believe how fast it's gone already! Sometimes I wish he would stay a little baby forever...but I am looking forward to so many milestones to come...it's still hard though :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ahh, I feel exactly the same way! My son is going to turn one in a little over a week (OMG) and it's crazy, I can't believe how fast it's gone already! Sometimes I wish he would stay a little baby forever...but I am looking forward to so many milestones to come...it's still hard though :(

    ReplyDelete
  14. My little boy turned 4 last month and I have been going through this "I miss the 1st-2nd years" stage... Cos I have so many friends with 2nd kids who just turned 1. Every stage will be fun (dunno about the teen years!) ... But I try to cherish everyday cos it just flies by! Your little girl is a real cutie! I bet you guys are gonna have a blast at her party :)

    ReplyDelete