Friday, December 7, 2012

nonexistent napping.

Today marks exactly one week since my perfect-sleeper Aubrey has napped.  I'm terribly confused here.  I'm the mom that has done everything possible for this kid to be a good napper.  Consistent routine?  Check!  Same bedtime & nap time every day unless it's Sunday, (we have church during nap time, sadly.) a holiday, or something else of importance?  Check.  I've gotten constant eye rolls, "Can't she just skip a nap or take one later?"  Nope.  I knew that having a consistent routine was the reason she was so good at sleep times.  She barely ever made a fuss for naps or bedtime, & took a wonderful 3 -3.5 hour nap daily.  

And then - just like that, she stopped.  Nothing in our routine changed.  She just stopped napping.  Like I said, it all started a week ago.  I'd set her in her crib after lunchtime, changed her diaper, handed her a pacifier, & set her in her crib.  She stood right back up.  "I wa pay, mama."  ('I wanna play' in Aubrey language)  I laid her down, & she played in there for the next hour.  I heard her laughing, talking, jumping, & basically anything BESIDES napping during that hour.  I kept thinking that if I just left her in there a little bit longer she would eventually fall asleep.  Just didn't happen.  I thought it was just a fluke, but it happened the next day, and the next.  I tried moving the nap time a little later so she'd be more tired.  I tried waking her up a little bit earlier in the morning so she'd more tired for her nap.  I tried wearing her out & having her run around the house playing tag.  NOTHING worked, and nothing IS working.  

I'm having a baby in a month and I was really counting on that 3 hour nap.  I'd be fine with a one hour nap!  I'm a tiny bit terrified now.  I've just been letting her play in there for about an hour, & then I start feeling guilty because she calls for me, "Where arrrre yoooou?"  so I take her out.  It's the strangest thing - she doesn't get tired or cranky later in the day at all.  It's as if she literally does not need a nap anymore.  Could that even be possible?  She's not even two yet!

Help?

9 comments:

  1. my daughter really struggled with naps and even with going to bed without crying and whining right around that age, i'm not sure why it happened but i just continued to do the same thing and eventually she got back on her routine (it did take a few weeks though). do you make her room really dark at nap time? we don't have black-out curtains but i started hanging a big thick blanket over her window and that really seemed to help. Or else maybe adjust her bedtime? good luck! but i'm sure she'll turn a corner soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That gives me hope! I really should try black out curtains. The weather has been colder so it has been darker than usual than her room but I'm willing to try anything these days ;)

      Delete
  2. We went through the same thing about a month ago. Paisley was 22 months at the time. She is also in a toddler bed so she has the freedom to get out of bed when she wants. Literally, for three weeks she would not nap. And then finally she got back on her schedule. I was in the same boat. We have a great schedule every day and a 2.5-3 hour nap was always part of it. Hopefully she will go back to her normal ways for your sake :o) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear she got back on schedule... my biggest fear is that this is permanent! I'll just keep sticking her in the crib at the same time every day. And props to you- I"m way too scared to try the toddler bed!

      Delete
  3. Andilyn did the same and i feel like our kids are similar! but i stayed consistant i just did what i always did with her. but i just started sending her to naps a bit later, like an hour and a half later. and it was good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried that once but I think I'll try again. Kids be crazy. ;) I agree - I think our girls seem so much alike!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My son did the same thing and I tired everything I could think of. I finally gave up and realized that naps were a thing of the past. :( He is sleeping much better at night now, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Google 18 month sleep regression. My daughter who is almost 20 months has been going through the same thing. It is beyond frustrating. I have heard the sleep regression last 2-6 weeks then they just go back to their normal schedule. I hope this helps. I don't have any advice because we are going through the same thing and none of my tricks have worked either.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This happened with Heidi and still does sometimes. I have found that if I don't get her out of the house to do new stimulating activities then she won't nap easily or for very long. The more stimulated she is in the morning (not just physically, mentally too), the better she will sleep in the afternoon. Also, its best not to push the nap out as kids don't nap well in late afternoon, just after lunch is the best time, it has something to do with sleep cycles and them getting a "second wind", something like that, i forget. Anyway, hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete