Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Life with Two..

I won't lie to you all... life with two is challenging. I remember thinking having one was hard.  Now that seems like a cake walk!  The hardest part of having two is balancing time & trying to keep everyone happy.  Sometimes, one kid is just going to have to cry & whine until you can "get to them".  I'm kind of getting it down to a science - as soon as I know Kate is going to need to eat, I make sure Aubrey has everything she could possibly need during the next half hour at her fingertips - toys, snacks, a sippy cup, books, etc.  Kate eats a LOT.  Something that I didn't expect would happen when I was pregnant.  (I mean, duh I knew newborns eat a lot, but I mean a LOT.  And often.)  She gets hungry about every 90 minutes during the day.  None of that easy 2-3 hours business that you read in the baby books.  Also, from about 5 pm to 11 pm she is extremely fussy and wants to nurse constantly.  She eats, is happy for maybe 15 minutes, gets fussy, we try to soothe her, & repeat process.  I'm literally camped out on the couch for that 6 hour period!  (Tell me what newborn is awake for 6+ hours in a row by the way?!)  Luckily my husband is home most nights so he can take care of Aubrey and dinner while this is going on.  Fridays & Saturdays he works late, which makes it difficult, but I know this soon will pass.  There are plenty of 5 minute chaotic time periods throughout our days, but dozens more sweet, joyful ones to make up for the hard ones.  

With one you still have time to shower, get ready, clean the house, go online, grocery shop, etc. (At least for me) It's slowly settling in that Kate is a high needs baby & these things are going to have to be put on hold for a while at this time in my life.  I'll admit for about two days in a row that was hard to  accept.  I cannot tell you how much I just want to go to Target right now!  Things like taking a joy trip to Target to look at Valentine's Day goodies seems lightyears away.  The past few days I think I have finally "accepted" it.  And I'm okay with it.  In a month things will be easier and I will wonder where the time has gone.  I will look at my two growing babies and cry at how extremely big they are.  Right now they need me, and they need me at home. This is the job I signed up for.  It really is true when they say being a stay at home mom is the hardest job in the world.  But, it's just as true when they say it's the best & most rewarding.  I won't lie - even though I get cabin fever sometimes, it feels really good to be needed by these two special little girls.  Aubrey needs me to help her stack blocks & read stories to her, & Kate needs me for constant comfort & nourishment.  And quite honestly?  These things are so much more fulfilling and satisfying than any Target trip.

Sorry this post was rambly - (okay, all my posts are unorganized & rambly, who am I kidding?)  Here are a few pictures of my beauties!  Kate is over three weeks old & Aubrey will be two in a month.  Break my heart why don't you!













15 comments:

  1. oohh i am at home, completely exhausted right now, trying to get my baby to just.take.a.nap and thinking how I would loooove to just wander around target. it really is just the best store! ;) But you're right, being at home is more rewarding and these babies need us, which is the best feeling, being able to be there for them :) And when mine was little I remember those days of being camped out on the couch for hours on end, nursing. could be a growth spurt? anyway, love your blog! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. your a good mom lees! thanks for keepin it real with this post. a lot of us look up to you and your positive outlooks on life. keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This article presents clear idea designed
    for the new viewers of blogging, that actually how to
    do blogging. cellulite treatment
    Also visit my web blog ... cellulite cream

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love if you could do a post about breastfeeding! I know you struggled with Aubrey and I was so happy for you when you said it was a success with Kate. Maybe a post about the differences in the breastfeeding with the girls? I'm 14 weeks pregnant and I'm really hoping to breastfeed but I understand it's hard especially for first timers! Tips and Tricks? What was difficult with Aubrey that's now a cinch with Kate? I'd love a post from you one day when you have the time about nursing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll see what I can do ;) Also if you email me lswilliams08@yahoo.com I'd be happy to talk with you about on there.

      Delete
  5. I love this<3 I think it's great how open & honest about your struggles you are. It killed me the most when Gunner was a newborn seeing all these moms and hearing them talk as if it was the easies things in the world.. when in reality, it's tough at times. You are an amazing mama Lisa and I know your girls are your life, and that's so sweet<3 I remember my first weeks with Gunner were so emotional and I also thought about how I would love to go to Target (my fav store as well) with him but wasn't brave enough at that time. BUT you're right - in less than a month things will settle down and I'm sure you'll get everything down to a science and be a natural at "mommy of 2" life! Best of luck with everything and I hope/KNOW it'll get easier! You're a pro ;)

    And PS I would give anything to be a stay-at-home mommy. I can't even imagine going back to work on Monday (yes.. in 5 days!). Your girls are so lucky to have you home all day with them. And they'll remember all the fun they had with you during these days - they won't remember how you didn't get to them the moment they cried because you were in the shower or helping the other one, etc. Good luck lady! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roya. :) I hope that you can be a stay at home mommy someday and somehow it can work out. You are the best mama to your little boy & he will always know that every minute spent with him is all the more cherished!!

      Delete
  6. You dress your girls so cute! When I'm here (with two kidlets) I'm gonna write you and ask you to remind me how you survived because I know I'll hit a point where it feels like you just won't. But we all do, right?! Thanks for the sweet and humble reminder. You're a good Momma. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your a good mother but you should have waited with another baby for at 2 years, I did that and its much easier because then your oldest will already go to school. But hey if this is what you like than good for you

    ReplyDelete
  8. The first month or so is really hard, but as Kate gets less "needy" you'll become a pro at being able to do multiple things as once. The other day I was nursing and William wanted me to play mariokart with him so I played mariokart wii WHILE nursing :) He made me feel really guilty the other day when he asked for my help on something and I told him, "Let me finish feeding Annabelle" to which he responded "Ahh, not again!" It was funny, but made me realize that he has needs too. Good job planning ahead with activities for Aubrey while you nurse. These can be tough times, but truly some of the best times! And as far as having a lot going on with 2 kids under 2....I have a friend who just had her 3rd, so now she has 3 kids under 3 :) It can be done! Just remember that a long with taking care of those cute kiddos you have to take care of yourself.
    Oh, almost forgot. If you ever get the chance (or if Steve can help) make a little extra of dinner and freeze it! I've learned that freezer meals are a lot easier to do than you think, and they have been a lifesaver for me on those nights where Annabelle screams if I am not within eyesight of her. Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Where did you get that baby blanket?! It's beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's from an etsy shop called heart string things :). It's so soft and our "go to" blanket around the house :)

      Delete
  10. Thеre's certainly a lot to know about this issue. I really like all of the points you'ѵe mаde.
    Also see my webpage: how to stop someone from snoring

    ReplyDelete
  11. My cousin's two babies both nursed literally every 45 minutes for the first month, and they found out it was because her milk supply wasn't keeping up with the baby's needs. Is it possible Kate isn't getting enough in one sitting? It might not hurt to try out pumping in order to get a bigger supply with longer time in between (it's not comfortable to do at first, but so worth it!) Maybe ask your doc if that seems like it could be the issue. It's pretty common.

    I'm with Roya Marie; you are so lucky to be at home! Definitely a little jealous over here. Maybe with baby #2 I will be able to as well. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aubrey Grace was/is the same way. VERY high needs and nursed every hour and a half. I know it was due to the fact that I didn't make a ton of milk so to make up for that she just nursed all the time. In fact to this very day not a whole lot has changed. At 10 mo's she's still nursing about every 2 hrs or so (even if for a few minutes) and needs to be held a lot. She's a little diva that one ;) Loved the honesty of this post- it's definitely not always easy but it's so very rewarding. You're doing a great job and those girls are just too darn cute :)

    ReplyDelete