Wednesday, March 27, 2013

the makeup post.

I used to spend an absolutely ridiculous amount on makeup.  I didn't use any drugstore products & worshipped Sephora & Ulta.  I thought that since they were high end places for makeup, surely they must be better?  Fast forward to when I became a mama and going to the mall to the nearest Sephora to pick up my favorite mascara became tedious.  It was much faster to just pick up something at Target or Walmart while grocery shopping so I didn't have to make an extra trip.  I made a goal to try to find a drugstore product to replace each & every "high end" product I used.  And two years later - I can say I use 75% drugstore products after MUCH trial & error trying out many.  

Let's start with the face: 

This BB cream.  I use this every single day.  I don't wear liquid foundation anymore after finding this stuff (except the occasional date night, or day that I want to have a little more coverage)  I know I've mentioned this stuff on the blog before, but it's THAT good that I just have to let you all hear about it again. :)  For those of you that haven't jumped on the BB cream bandwagon yet, it's a tinted moisturizer with SPF.  Makeup, moisturizer, AND SPF in one.  Genius.  

Bare Minerals powder.  I know this isn't a drugstore product, but I've had it SO long that I haven't had to replace it yet.  I will try to find a good drugstore version when I run out.  I use this on top of the BB cream to set it. 

Mac Primer.  Ok, I know this isn't a drugstore item either, but I've literally had this over a year and still have about half left.  It's like $16.00 and has lasted that long.  So this one is an exception :)  Makes your eye makeup stay on all. day long.

As for eye shadow, I have a mixture of drugstore brands like Maybelline & Revlon, but I also have some Mac and my beloved "Naked" Palette by Urban Decay.  They last forever.  I'm not too picky with eye shadow.  I feel like with the Mac primer on underneath, you can use pretty much anything!

Revlon Colorstay Eyeliner.  I've used this since high school.  It stays on.  Enough said!

Maybelline Falsies Mascara.  I've used SO many different mascaras and this is my favorite.  Yes, even better than the $27 Dior mascara from Sephora that I used to be obsessed with.  (I can picture my husband's face while reading that I used to spend that much on mascara.  Love you babe.)

Elf Eyebrow kit.  I have really dark eyebrows, but I think having filled in eyebrows is the key to looking polished.  I used to use Mac eyebrow pencils but wasn't that impressed.  This THREE dollar eyebrow kit from Target rocks my socks.  Love it.

Physican's Formula Bronzer.  It was hard finding a great drugstore brand bronzer, but after MANY bad orange/shimmery ones, I finally found a winner.  I use this one in medium.

Elf Blush.  That "Elf" brand that I see at Target is really amazing.  It's cheaper than even Revlon, etc. & I feel like their products are comparable to Mac.  I need to try more of their stuff!  Love this blush.

I don't really have a "go to" for lip gloss - I just love nude-light pink colors.  Right now in my purse I have Revlon.

Does anyone have any drugstore favorites I NEED to know about?  Let me know in the comments. :)






7 comments:

  1. I definitely LOVE the prices of the Elf brand at Target. I use the setting spray for after all your makeup is on. It only costs $1 and it really helps to keep all my makeup in place for the whole day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOh I will def have to try that one out! I used to use the Makeup Forever HD setting powder and loved it but haven't found a drugstore version. $1.00 definitely beats $40.00!! Lol! Thanks for the tip ;)

      Delete
  2. Bare Minerals is my all time favorite make-up- so for i haven't found its equal so i'm stuck paying higher prices-but i think its worth it, i used to have terrible breakouts which have all but disappeared once i changed over from liquid foundation and powders. And this isn't "drugstore" make-up (more like grocery store)....but i use cornstarch as a finishing powder....you just need to us it in super tiny amount so you don't turn you face all white- Works like a charm :) Found that on pinterest. I really like Maybelline Falsies Mascara too, i've also been using Voluminous False Fiber Lashes by L'oreal too....love that false eyelash effect! thanks for sharing your make-up tips, you do always look so well put together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use the elf flawless liquid foundation and it doesn't feel like your typical liquid foundation. It goes on light and doesn't feel gross and sticky.

      Delete
  3. Have you tried the NYC bronzer in Sunny?? It is awesome and it's very cheap! I use Hoola bronzer by Benefit, and after trying the NYC bronzer I think it's better!! It's definitely worth trying!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a bit obssessed with makeup. But I have recently tried to cut down the amount of high end make up and find good quality dupes at the drugstore. Recently it has been made easier because they are just producing some really good products. I really enjoy the Falsies (I get the flared) mascara as well. On top of that maybelline product I also have really fallen in love with the Maybelline Dream Lumi touch Highlighting Concealer in the color Radiant. They have other colors but I really like the brightening affect the radiant has in the under eye area. Finally, before I write a book, the MAC Skinfinish natural is a really great setting powder. I found that it lasts longer than the bare minerals setting powder. For me at least.
    Great post!
    www.youngnasahousewife.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE covergirl eye shadow. It's pretty cheap and goes on great and for me, stays on all day.

    ReplyDelete