Saturday, September 21, 2013

potty training.

I have been meaning to post on this subject for a long time, & I finally have the chance to sit down and talk about this (really really frustrating) topic.  



Potty training!  Oh man. 

We started introducing her little potty to her & teaching her basic things about it when she was about 17 months.  What could it hurt, right?  She enjoyed sitting on it sometimes & even peed on it a couple times.  Since she was still really young & peeing like a million times a day, I put her little potty in storage & thought I'd wait a few months.  I was pregnant with Kate at the time, & each passing month I just got bigger & more tired, so I kept putting it off.  

Once Kate was born, obviously potty training was put on the back burner, but I wasn't too worried since Aubrey wasn't even two yet.  Again, adjusting to life with two & nursing a baby every two hours caused me to postpone training her even longer.  I'd still bring up potty training & "big girl panties" here & there, but she didn't seem too interested.

Finally, a few months ago I got a brand new "princess" potty seat, some cute Minnie panties, & I went for it.  I did all the recommended things you hear - keep positive, set a timer, potty treats, sticker chart, etc. etc. etc!  Annnnd Aubrey thought sitting on the potty was the lamest thing ever.  She would sit there for the first few times, had a few successes, but then after half a day she would refuse to even sit on the potty no matter what fun dollar tree toy, m&m, or sparkly new sticker I offered her.  

As much as I hate to admit it, she just wasn't (and isn't) emotionally ready.  When she had to go, she would beg for a diaper, cry & then go on the floor even when the potty was right there.  I could tell it was getting stressful & not at all fun for her, so I have decided to put it off some more until she is truly ready.  

While it's frustrating to put it off since I know she is physically ready, I don't want to pressure her when she's not emotionally ready.  So for now, I am just waiting until it's HER idea, because that sweet little girl's feelings are a whole lot more important to me than not having to change five diapers a day.  





9 comments:

  1. You're on the right track now! Potty-training needs to be the child's idea. The child will tell YOU when she's ready, almost like baby-lead weaning. Look for signs such as her trying to use the toilet, asking for her potty, removing her diaper. If a child is ready when the parent attempts potty-training it should take around three days! Sounds crazy, huh? But it's actually really not that difficult for the child to grasp if they are really ready. You're doing the right thing by still mentioning it without forcing it upon her. I'm sure she'll be ready soon. Good luck! =]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chloe! Yeah it was frustrating because she was showing all those signs! She's a tricky one, that Aubrey! Lol.

      Delete
  2. I don't blame you! I have no desire to force it, I'll wait until mine is ready emotionally and physically!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are such a good mom for considering her feelings and not pressuring and forcing her like so many moms do. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally agree! I tried several times with Paisley and finally it was her idea and she trained herself. From 18 months- 2 1/2 the potty stayed out and finally she used it! She will get there! What's a few extra diaper changes per day, right?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! She will be ready soon enough :) Thanks for sharing!
    http://youngnasawife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know I feel like I went theough the same with my Sophia. We had tried like 6 times when she turned two cause I felt so much "pressure" from other moms that not having my two year old potty trained was embarrassing. It got to the point where Sophia was scaredoto sit on her toilet. I then thought this is dumb. When my daughter is ready then THAT'S when we Will try again. So general conferance came and we decided to try again (she was a month and a half from her third birthday) and she was definitely ready. She has only had two accidents. Also we didn't train her on her little toilet. Instead we just used the regular toilet and put a little seat on that. That way she would get useoto it and it wouldn't be an issue in public. We used her little toilet as a step stool. She will let you know when she is ready!!! Good luck and don't give up

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're such a great mama, Lisa! I completely agree with you about putting her feelings first and doing it when she's ready for it. And it sounds like you tried everything in the book to make it work, and if it didn't work then she's probably just not "there" yet. And that's fine!! There's no rulebook or timeline these things, some things our kiddos will tell us on their own when they are ready for them ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lisa, it's wonderful the care and time you take into the potty training!

    I soooo much recognise the frustrations, our little one at 20 months just walks around the potty and will occasionally sit to receive a little applause (one of our tools of encouragement ;) )....but after that "life goes on" within less than half a minute ..And an empty potty...

    So, now I too am trying the "ready when you are"-approach but I must say I'm a bit anxious because soon school is scheduled.

    Best of luck with your potty training anyways!

    ReplyDelete