Wednesday, October 21, 2015

two weeks with three girls.

It's been two short weeks since Ella's birth.  (Although it feels more like a few really long days blurred together).

Ella has been the sweetest little baby.  She is the sleepiest, dreamiest girl & our best sleeper so far.  She takes several 2-3 hour naps during the day, is awake maybe 15-30 minutes, and is ready to eat again and take another nap.  Such a grand life she has!  I hate to even jinx it and mention this - but she has only been getting up ONCE a night to eat.  My other girls got up several times a night for a couple months.  ANGEL BABY!  I got up more times a night to pee when I was pregnant! (TMI?!)








She only cries upon waking up and when she gets hungry.  She's pretty easy going which is so new for my babies.  I never knew newborns could be like this - I'm hoping her chill little personality sticks around. ;)  I feel like we've earned an easy newborn after our last two diva babies!

My recovery has been going okay and I feel pretty good now, minus nursing pain. (We'll get to that later.) Steve was able to take off almost a week, and then my mom came over for three days to help me out.  During the time my mom was here, my baby blues were at an all time high, my nursing pain was at it's peak, & I was just so emotional.  She entertained my girls, made meals, cleaned my house, & just let me snuggle and bond with my baby girl and listened to me vent and cry to her.  She is such a great example of service to me & I hope I'm in a place where I can help my girls out the same way when they have their babies.

One HUGE challenge we've had is nursing.  When I say "we" I really mean "I."  She does great with it but I have never been in so much pain!  I cry at most latch ons because the pain is so excruciating.  Poor Aubrey and Kate are so used to seeing me cry while nursing her that the other day Kate walked in while I was feeding Ella and said, "Mom!  You're feeding baby Ella and you're not crying!!"  I know the pain will go away eventually, but I can honestly say that I feel like this pain is worse than labor contractions.  I told Steve we should let the government know about this awful pain and perhaps they can use it as a form of torture for terrorists or something!  (I can see me reading that sentence when I'm old someday and face palming at how dramatic I was.)

I've been by myself a few days now, and while I wouldn't peg it as "easy" by any means I feel like this transition has been smoother than the last two girls.  Nothing like a little experience & sisters that play together to help out with that!  I know as time goes on, things will naturally become a little more chaotic, but I'm enjoying the peace right now as Ella sleeps so much.  I've become pretty good at playing card games with one hand, & wearing Ella in my Solly wrap while I do things like fix lunches, dishes, etc.  The girls are still so sweet with their baby sister and I honestly couldn't have asked for better little helpers.




I'm a milk makin' machine so I let them feed her some extra milk I had when she was a few days old.  The girls were in heaven.  (All three of them!)






A few things about our baby girl: She has become so alert this past week and has even smiled for me a few times while looking right at me.  I swear she has laughed in her sleep but I don't tell many people that because they look at me like I'm nuts.  Even Steve has seen it so I know if anything we are BOTH crazy.  She loves being in her Solly wrap and being outside.  The weather has been so good here and I'm hoping it stays that way.  She takes a pacifier well, which I'm so glad about since Kate never took one.  She loves when Kate comes and talks and sings to her.  Kate will lay right next to her and talk to her about all sorts of things for the longest time and Ella will just stare at her.







That's all I can think of for now - I know I will be writing up her one month post before I know it so I wanted to get these things down because they change so much and so fast in the beginning.  We are so enjoying our Ella girl & feel so blessed to have this wonderful responsibility.  It's amazing how no matter how many times you've had a baby, your heart just keeps growing and just makes room to love another baby.

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations! You have the sweetest little girls! I am loving all of her outfits! The few you posted on Instagram when she was born were absolutely precious! You've probably already thought of this, but I was going to suggest seeing a lactation consultant about the nursing. When I had my second baby I hurt every time he latched on, and I knew from nursing his brother that it didn't have to hurt! I saw a lactation consultant before it got worse. I know how hard it is to leave the house, but sometimes you can find one who will come to you. Good luck! You have the sweetest family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. she looks just like the other girls!!!! beautiful. I second seeing a lactation consultant. Even after my second I went to see one for latch help and it was amazing. Doesn't hurt to get someone to help see what the problem may be and milky supply is not the issue than that is good. Hope things get better. kellymom.com is a great resource and one thing I always remembered was bring baby to breast not breast to baby. hang in there momma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Give it another week and it should get better. The first two weeks were excruciating for me as well when Ava nursed. I would cringe and go "ow, ow, ow" every time. I would breathe through it too as if I was in labor. It was that painful. Ava is 5 weeks now and there's been no pain for the past two weeks. I'm so glad this baby is so much easier than the last two as well. ;) Congrats again. She's adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my cuteness! I don't know how you'll refrain from having 100 more of those cute babies! Ella is devastatingly cute which she definitely gets from her sisters ;)

    I hope it encourages you to know that I also struggled through agonizing pain with my third baby and in a blog post I did, I also described it as worse than contractions. BUT with time and a lot of Motrin (prescribed by doctors when I was discharged from the hospital) I was able to stick through it and we/I eventually had relief. Definitely be certain her latch is good and then be strong! You can do it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful baby and beautiful post. My friend had REALLY BAD nursing pain and it turned out her little boy had a tongue tie. Once that was sorted she could feed him pain free. Just a thought xxx

    ReplyDelete